Getting better rankings on Google and other search engines can seem like a daunting process. There are so many resources and articles written on the subject it’s hard to know where to begin. Here are a few simple ways to get your website to rank better in Google.
1) SSL Certificate. I could go into detail about why this is important, but you only need to know that as of 2018, Google decided to push any website without a secure “https://” down to page 2 and below. If you do not see a green lock icon next to your URL, you do not have an SSL. For most websites, this can be an easy fix. Simply calling your website host and asking them to add and install an SSL is usually all it takes (additional monthly fee is usually involved). Other websites may need a little more work. WordPress websites may lose their ability to show images after an SSL upgrade. Make sure your website developer is available to fix any issues before you make the switch.
2) Website Optimization. This can be a complex process, but if you want “just the basics” install a plugin like Yoast SEO to easily change the Title and Description that search engines see. Keep with your main keywords “commercial real estate new york” but put in a descriptor that shows exactly what’s on the page.
Title: TDC Commercial Real Estate Brokerage in New York City
Description: Commercial real estate brokerage specializing in the sale, purchases, building leasing and tenant representation in New York City and Brooklyn. Experts in commercial real estate property.
Note that I wrote “commercial real estate” 3 times.
3) Load Speed. The number one cause of slow load speed is the use of high quality images and embedded video. If any of your website’s images are above 500 kb, you’ll need to make them smaller or save them in as a PNG-8, which will compress the image. I know a lot of people get really hung up on getting that perfect, non-pixel look, but no one will see your website if it’s been bumped to page #3 because you HAD to show a building’s stucco pattern perfectly.
4) Content Creation. One of the easiest ways to rank higher in search engines is by providing a steady stream of new, original content. It’s easy for me to say that, but it’s difficult to get going and keep up. If you write 1 blog article per week, in just a few months you’ll end up on searches all over the web!
5) Backlinks. There are many myths and rumors that revolve around backlinks. A backlink is created when another website links to yours. The more backlinks, the better your rankings. The question is – can I use one of those “Buy 100 Backlinks for $40!” services. Funny story! A few years ago, Google went on a rampage punishing sites that used cheap backlink services by pushing them from page 1 to 3 or 4. Seeing this, some industrious folks bought backlinks for their competitors’ websites. This caused their competitors to get bumped to page 3, and raised their own website rankings. Criminal genius! Today, Google neither punishes nor gives credit to websites that use cheap backlinking services. Therefore, those backlink services are a waste of money.
Real backlinks should be created by commenting on industry blogs (with your website address), providing guest blogs, and PR announcements. This is the slow way to do it, but it’s the only one that works.
Need help? Our websites have an additional SEO package that comes with SSL, optimization, fast loading strategies, content generation and properly done backlinks. Check out our Lead Generating Websites!